At least 50 people were killed and dozens more wounded in an attack on a wedding party in the Turkish city of Gaziantep near the Syrian border, the local governor’s office has said.
A total of 94 people were injured, the office of Gaziantep governor Ali Yerlikaya said in a statement late Saturday.
“Today at 10:50 pm (local time) 22 of our citizens lost their lives and 94 people were injured in the bomb attack on a wedding,” Yerlikaya’s office said.
“We condemn the traitors who organised and carried out this attack,” it added.
Yerlikaya had earlier described the explosion as an “abhorrent terror attack”.
It was not immediately clear who was responsible but a Gaziantep MP for the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), Samil Tayyar, said: “Initial information suggests it is Daesh (IS) who did this,” Dogan news agency reported, using the Arabic acronym for the Islamic State group.