With less than two months to go for the Olympics 2016, Rio de Janeiro image has taken a severe beating after reports of 16-year-old allegedly raped by more than 30 men emerged.

According to reports, the incident occurred last Friday night when the victim went to stay at her boyfriend’s house on the western fringe of the city.

However, it came to the light on this Wednesday after more than 800 people contacted a hotline in the state public prosecutor’s office to report about the video and tweets posted online.

The posted video featured the victim in a naked state on a bed and the apparent rapists bragging that she had been raped by more than 30 men.

It sent the shock waves across the biggest South American country.

“There are strong indications that the young woman was raped,” Rio police chief Fernando Veloso told a news conference.

“We cannot say whether there were 30 attackers, 33 or 36. The investigations will determine that,” he said.

Police have identified four of the men suspected of taking a “direct or indirect” part in the rape or the posting of the video, he added.

Brazil’s acting president Michel Temer and other senior figures reacted with outrage.

“I condemn most forcefully the rape of the teenager in Rio de Janeiro,” he wrote on Twitter.

“It is absurd that in the 21st century we should have to live with barbaric crimes such as this.”

The authorities are working “to find those responsible and rigorously punish the authors of this rape and the publishing of this criminal act on social networks,” he said.

The UN women’s rights agency condemned the case along with another recent alleged gang-rape of a 17-year-old girl in the northeastern state of Piaui.

(With Agency Inputs)