National Doctors Day is observed to recognise the work and contribution of physicians
to the society. Its a day when we express our gratitude to the healthcare providers for
for giving us unwavering care and invaluable treatment.
Here are seven interesting facts to know National Doctors Day:
1. National Doctors Day was first observed on March 30, 1933 in Winder, Georgia by Dr. Charles B. Almond’s wife Eudora Brown Almond to have a day honouring physicians.
2. Red carnation is commonly used as the symbolic flower for National Doctors Day.
3. The day is celebrated by sending cards, carnations and other tokens of gratitude to the physicians.
4. The first ether aesthetic for surgery was administered by Carwford W. Long on March 30, 1842, marking the date for Doctors Date.
5. National Doctors Day was proclaimed by United States President George W. Bush in 1991, marking the official observance of the day.
6. Doctors Day is celebrated around the world on different dates. While it is observed on December 2 in Cuba, Argentina and Spain, it is celebrated on May 1 in Canada.
7.In India, it is observed on July 1, the birth-date of well-known Indian physician and activist Dr. B.C. Roy, who was awarded Bharat Ratna on February 4, 1961.