A terrorist ploughed with his truck through a crowd of thousands enjoying Bastille Day celebration in the French Riviera city of Nice late on Thursday.
It was the worst terror attack in France since terrorists struck in Paris in November 2015, killing 130 people and injuring over 250 near a stadium.
Here’s a list of 10 must-know things about the incident.
- A large crowd had gathered on the event of French National Day/Bastille Day in Nice.
- People had gathered to watch the fireworks on the widely-celebrated occasion of Bastille Day.
- The attacker used a white weapons’ truck to mow down the crowd killing at least 80 people.
- Among the first victims was a Muslim woman who died instantly when the truck ran her over.
- Over 150 people were injured in the attack with about 50 people still in critical condition.
- The truck “zigzagged” for 2 km to cover more ground so as to maximize the devastation.
- Witnesses report that the attacker also fired upon the crowd while driving the truck.
- The ID obtained from the truck belonged to a man of ‘French-Tunisian’ origin indicating that the attacker was a French citizen.
- The ‘State of Emergency’ has been extended by three months beyond July 26 in light of the incident.
- The police stopped and shot down the attacker, putting an end to the frightful rampage.