A recent undercover sting operation conducted by Apple showed that around 90 percent of goods marked as ‘original’ Apple products on Amazon were actually counterfeit.
Here are 7 ways to spot fake Apple accessories on Amazon
- It’s common knowledge that Apple products are expensive, so if you come across an ‘Apple’ product that is significantly cheaper, it’s likely a fake.
- Original Apple products will be certified with a ‘Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad logo’ which would be missing on counterfeit products.
- Original cables will have a marking Designed by Apple in California followed by either ‘Assembled in China’, ‘Assembled in Vietnam’ or ‘Indústria Brasileira’ and will then show a 12-digit serial number. If any of these components are missing, you are probably dealing with a fake.
- If there are any typing errors in any of the labels, you have a fake.
- Minor differences can be seen in the physical hardware which you can verify on Apple’s official website before using a product if you suspect the product is fake.
- Check out the seller’s profile, what comments people have for the seller and what other products are sold.
- What are the customer reviews of the product? A few reviews may be ‘planted’ but if you go through a large number of reviews you can get a better idea of the authenticity of the product.