Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Pinterest
+

Mary-Kom

It was a major heartbreak for all the boxer fans after the International Olympic Committee has denied wild card entry to the five times world champion Mary Kom for the Rio Olympics Games.

The news has been confirmed by the Amateur International Boxing Association-appointed ad-hoc committee, Kishan Narsi.

Her last hope for an Olympic berth might be over after the denial of a wildcard, but star Indian woman boxer M C Mary Kom said, on Thursday, she would not hang up her gloves just yet.

“I have been duly informed that I won’t be getting a wildcard for the Olympics. It is heartbreaking but it is something which I had no control on. I have to accept this decision but I am not quitting the sport right now. I will continue to compete till I am feeling fit and for the time being I think I am fit,” Mary Kom told from Imphal.

The London Olympic bronze-medallist missed two chances to book a Rio berth — first in March at the Asian Zone Qualifiers and then last month at the World Championships.

The Manipuri was eyeing a swansong Olympic appearance at Rio before calling it quits but has changed her mind at least for the time being.

The 33-year-old became the first Indian woman to win a boxing medal when she clinched bronze in the 2012 London Games.