PV Sindhu on Thursday beat Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara to enter the final of the women’s singles event of badminton competitions at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
The shuttler registered a 21-19, 21-10 triumph in the semi-finals. The shuttler will play for gold in the next match.
Here is all you need to know about the shuttler:
- Sindhu was born to P. V. Ramana and P. Vijaya – both former volleyball players
- PV Sindhu’s full name is Pusarla Venkata Sindhu
- She eventually started playing badminton from the age of eight
- On 10 August 2013, Sindhu became the first ever Indian women’s singles player to win a medal at the World Championships
- On 30 March 2015, she received India’s fourth highest civilian honor, the Padma Shri
- On 18 August 2016, she became the first Indian woman to reach Olympic finals after beating Nozomi Okuhara of Japan in the semi-finals of Rio Olympics 2016