Germany’s Angelique Kerber recently grabbed the limelight after she clinched a thrilling win over Czech Karolina Pliskova in the US Open final.
Here are some of the facts about the new US open champion:
- Angelique Kerber was born in Bremen, to a Polish father and a German mother.
- She started playing tennis at age three and eventually joined the junior circuit.
- Angelique Kerber made her debut in professional tennis at the age of 15.
- Kerber has won eight singles titles, which includes a title each on every surface on the WTA tour.
- She broke into the Top 100 with a defeat of Marion Bartoli in 2003
- She achieved a career-high ranking of world No. 1 on September 12, 2016, becoming the twenty second and oldest player to achieve the number one ranking for the first time.
- She is Known for her aggressive counter-punching all-court game and left-handed shots.
- Kerber endorses Adidas clothes and Yonex racquets. In early 2015, she became an ambassador of the German car manufacturer Porsche
- At the Olympic Games in Rio, Kerber lost to Mónica Puig in finals to settle for silver.
- Kerber is the first German to win the women’s title at the Australian Open since Steffi Graf in 1994.