Recently a lot of buzz was created about the upcoming Bollywood flick ‘Azhar’, which is a biopic of former Indian skipper Mohammad Azharuddin.
His life is nothing short of a soap opera having both high and low points and glamour of course, and here we take a look at some of the interesting moments of his eventful life:
1. He announced himself to the cricketing world with a bang by scoring a hat-trick of centuries, all against England
2. He scored the fastest century of his time, off just 62 balls, against New Zealand while chasing in 1988.
3. He is the only Indian captain to lead India in 3 World Cups (1992, 1996 & 1999)
4.He had an eternal affair with the Eden Gardens as he scored his 5 tons including his debut one and 2 fifties with a staggering average of 107.5.
5. He got hitched thrice, including former Bollywood actress Sangeeta Bijlani.
6. Azharuddin was awarded with the prestigious Arjuna Award in 1986 for his cricketing achievements.
7. Azhar was banned for life in 2000 for his alleged role in match-fixing, thus ending his glamorous career forever.
8. However, in 2006, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) revoked the ban.
9. He also tried to make a mark in politics. In 2009, Azhar contested from Moradabad in the general elections as a Congress Party nominee.
10. The first movie on an Indian cricketer titled ‘Azhar’ starring actor Emraan Hashmi as lead will be releasing on May 13,2016.