Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa passed away on December 5 during her term as Chief Minister and after her death, Panneerselvam was sworn in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
Jayalalithaa is not the first Chief Minister to die during her tenure, here is a look at 15 others:
1. Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, Jammu & Kashmir (January 7, ...
Mufti Mohammad Sayeed died after a prolonged illness, plunging state into a 3 month period of uncertainty before next CM.
2. Dorjee Khandu, Arunachal Pradesh (April 30, 2011)
Dorjee Khandu was killed in a helicopter crash, next CM was found soon after.
3. YSR Reddy, Andhra Pradesh (September 2, 2009)
YSR Reddy died in a helicopter crash during his second term as CM, and the senior most Congress leader at the time was sworn in as his successor.
4. Beant Singh, Punjab (August 31, 1995)
A suicide blast by terrorist group Babbar Khalsa killed Beant Singh, then a senior Congress leader was sworn in.
5. Chimanbhai Patel, Gujarat (February 17, 1994)
Chimanbhai Patel died due to heart failure.
6. MG Ramachandran, Tamil Nadu (December 24, 1987)
MG Ramachandran’s death during his tenure as CM triggered a power tussle in AIADMK.
7. Sheikh Abdullah, Jammu and Kashmir (September 8, 1982)
Sheikh Abdullah health was critical for months before he passed away.
8. Barkatullah Khan, Rajasthan (October 11, 1973)
Barkatullah Khan died from a heart attack two years into his term.
9. Dayanand Bandodkar, Goa (August 12, 1973)
Dayanand Bandodkar held the office of CM for 3 consecutive terms until his death.
10. CN Annadurai (February 3, 1969)
CN Annadurai died from cancer two years into his term as CM.
11. Marotrao Kannamwar, Maharashtra (November 24, 1963)
Marotrao Kannamwar died a year after being re-eleceted.
12. Bidhan Chandra Roy, West Bengal (July 1, 1962)
Bidhan Chandra Roy was CM for 14 years until his death.
13. Sri Krishna Singh, Bihar (January 31, 1961)
Sri Krishna Singh carried out multiple terms as CM before his death.
14. Ravishankar Shukla, Madhya Pradesh (December 31, 1956)
Ravishankar Shukla died in less than 2 months after becoming CM.
15. Gopinath Bordoloi, Assam (August 6, 1950)
Gopinath Bordoloi was CM for only a short period before his death