[caption id="attachment_211268" align="aligncenter" width="700"]
You will be surprised to know that Hepatitis- The leaver disease claims around 1.45 Million deaths every year.[/caption]
You will be surprised to know that Hepatitis- The leaver disease claims around 1.45 Million deaths every year.
ALSO READ:Hepatitis B Vaccine Is Important! Know Why
Keeping this fact in mind, to raise awareness about it WHO, the Hepatitis Alliance and other organizations are observing World Hepatitis Day on 28 July. This day marks a new push to drastically reduce the number of deaths and infection rate.
ALSO READ:Hepatitis B, C Pose Huge Health Challenge In India: Experts
To take a step in the same direction here we share some must know facts about the disease:
1. According to stats, a staggering 400 million people are impacted by viral hepatitis each year.
ALSO READ:Cipla Launches Generic Hepatitis C Drug In India Under Brand Name ‘Hepcvir-L’
2. Data shows unlike the relative success of HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis, the number of deaths related to this disease is actually growing.
3. There are five different hepatitis viruses - hepatitis A, B, C, D and E.
ALSO READ:Hetero’s ‘First Indian Company’ To Receive DCGI Nod To Treat Hepatitis C
4. Of the five different types of hepatitis, there is no cure for three of the types. Hepatitis C alone affects an estimated 12 million people in India, most of whom do not know that they have the disease.
5. Hepatitis E virus (HEV) is the most important cause of epidemic Hepatitis, whereas Hepatitis A virus (HAV) is more common among children. Most acute liver failures diagnosed are attributable to HEV.
6. Inflammation of liver is usually referred as hepatitis. Viral hepatitis is a widespread infectious disease normally caused by the hepatitis viruses A, B, C, D and E. The condition can be self-limiting or can progress to liver fibrosis (scarring), cirrhosis or liver cancer.
7. There is need for immediate and urgent action to arrest the spread of hepatitis.