Don’t let all the fried food and sweets during Navratra fasting sway you off your health goal. Go for boiled, roasted and baked food for healthy fasting, says an expert.
A nutritionist Anjali Hooda Sangwan lists how one can maintain a healthy lifestyle during Navratras, a nine-day Hindu celebration.
– Don’t fall for fried snacks and fried potatoes that are so common and increase your body inflammation leading to weight gain.
– If you prefer potatoes, then have roasted or boiled one medium sized potato per day with rock salt.
– Have ramdana ladoo also called amaranth cakes in moderation, since they are sweet, try the ones with pure jaggery or organic honey
– Go for roasted flax seed with favourite fruit.
– Gluten free flour buckwheat flour chapatti/bread. It is great for weight loss too in everyday life.
– Sendha namak or rock salt is great low sodium pure salt which should be used anyway in everyday cooking.
– Fox nuts ( makhana) are Rich source of protein and carbohydrate. Best eaten roasted and sprinkled with rock salt or sendha namak. But avoid the fried one.
– Eat high fiber and high pectin fruits like apples and pears.
– Increase intake of water and increase detoxing by having herbal teas like jasmine and dandelion root tea.