Dhanteras is known to be one of the most important religious festival in Hindu religion, which is celebrated before the Diwali every year. The festival is much associated with the wealth.
It is also known as Dhantrayodashi, which is known to be the first day of five day long Diwali festival.
The word ‘Dhanteras’ is derived from two words, ‘Dhan’ means wealth and ‘teras’ means the thirteenth day of the moon cycle, as it falls on the thirteenth lunar day of Karthik Krishna Paksha in the Hindu month of Karthik. Dhanteras will be celebrated on October 28 this year.
Here is the Puja vidhi, Mahurat and Auspicious timings for puja on Dhanteras this year:
Dhanteras 2016: Puja Muhurat and Auspicious Timings for the day
Lakshmi Pujan on ‘Dhanteras’ should be done during Pradosh Kaal, which starts after sunset and approximately lasts for 2 hours and 24 minutes.
Pradosh kaal:5:35 pm – 6:20 pm
Trayodashi Tithi starts: 5:35 pm – 8:21 pm
Trayodashi Tithi ends = 6:20 pm on October 28
Dhanteras 2016: Puja Vidhi
- Rangoli’s can be made at the entrance of the home to welcome Goddess Lakshmi.
- To symbolise the arrival of goddess, small footprints can also be made on the floor.
- You may offer Puja to Lord Ganesha and Lakshmi Puja during Pradosh Kaal.
- Buying new utensils made of steel and purchasing gold jewellery on ‘Dhanteras’ is believed to be good on this auspicious day.
- Lakshmi puja should be done in the evening, which is an important part of the celebrations. Devotees sing praises to goddess Lakshmi andoffer marigold flowers, cereals including wheat, urad dal, moong dal, gram, barley and masoor dal to goddess during the puja.