There are 55 newly elected crorepati MPs in Rajya Sabha while 13 have declared criminal cases against themselves, says a new study by Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).
Media baron Subhash Chandra is among those 13 and has around 11 criminal allegations registered against him.
Apart from Haryana poll ink controversy, here is a sneak peek into Chandra’s criminal record:
- Cases under Section 406, 420 and 42 are registered against Chandra in Chennai
- Case under section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act 1881 and cheque bounce case under section 141 is registered in Mumbai court
- Another case of defamation and conspiracy under IPC sections 420, 403 and 406/34 are registered in Mumbai court against him
- Case under section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act 1881 in Mumbai’s Bhoiwada Court is also filed against Chandra
- Agasti Kanitkar has filed defamation case against Chandra under IPC 500 in Pune court
- Maharashtra State Warehousing Corporation has filed a case against Chandra under Amendment Ordinance 1944 section 3 (2) in Mumbai Court
- There is a case against Chandra’s Zee 24 TAAS for showing wrong information about Principal’s degree and certificate
- A case has also been registered against Zee News Network for wrongly portraying a man as a terrorist
- A case against Chandra is filed for criminal defamation and conspiracy under IPC sections 500, 504 and 120 B in Pratapgarh court
- Delhi’s Jindal Steel and Power has filed a Rs 100 crore extortion case against Chandra under sections 500, 501, 506, 34 and 120 B
- JSPL has also filed an FIR against Subhash Chandra under IPC sections 499 and 500