China on Thursday disowned a documentary shown by the state-run channels about the involvement of Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiyaba in the Mumbai attacks, saying it is a dubbed version of an American TV programme and no way represents the government’s position.
“We have contacted the Chinese media and learnt that the relevant program is a Chinese-dubbed American documentary,” a brief statement put out by the Chinese Foreign Ministry on its website.
“What it (documentary) said does not represent the position of the Chinese government. China’s position on the issue of counter-terrorism remains unchanged,” it said.
The ministry’s reaction was in response to a question on the China Central Television (CCTV) documentary on the Mumbai terror attacks, linking Pakistan to the assault.
While it was unprecedented for CCTV to carry a documentary in which confessions of Ajmal Kasab, the lone survivor of the Mumbai attacks, was also shown, officials say it was equally rare for Chinese Foreign Ministry to refute the report which went against China’s all weather ally Pakistan.
The documentary coinciding with India-China spat over Beijing putting technical holds in UN on India’s attempts to bring about a UN ban on some of the leaders of LET and Jaish-e-Muhammad sparked off speculation that China may be reviewing its stand.
The footage was first aired by the state-run Shanghai television weeks ahead of President Pranab Mukherjee’s visit last month and subsequently shown by CCTV documentary channel.
The documentary containing details of planning and execution of the Mumbai attacks by LeT militants caught Indian officials by surprise as Chinese state media shows extreme care and caution in airing negative news about Pakistan.