Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation in his monthly 'Mann Ki Baat' radio address for the first time since completing 3 years in power and highlighted the importance of constructive criticism in strengthening democracy and assured that mistakes and shortcomings will be rectified.
Defending the monthly address which had come under fire for being allegedly 'one way communication' PM Modi said that the monthly radio address enabled him to become a member of every family in India.
"Audit and assessment of the performance of the present government in the last three years is happening all over on newspapers, social media or TV for the last 15 days. There have been many surveys and several opinion polls. I see this entire process as a very healthy sign," Modi said.
"Constructive criticism strengthens democracy, for an aware nation, an awakened nation, this churning is very important," he said, referring to the surveys which highlight both praise and criticism of his government's record so far.
He said the work done by his government was tested on every touchstone and analysed by every segment of society.
"This is a great process in democracy. I firmly believe that governments must be accountable in democracy and the public at large must be provided with report card of works done," he said, expressing gratitude for the critical and important feedback.
"The mistakes and the shortcomings once highlighted can be rectified. Whether something is good, little less effective, or bad, whatever it is, one has to learn from it and move ahead in life, putting the learning from it into practice."
"Some people take 'Mann Ki Baat' as a monologue and some criticise it from a political angle," he said admitting that he never thought that programme launched two years ago would make him a member of every Indian family.
"Now I feel as if I'm conversing with my family while sitting at home," said Modi, describing himself as "ordinary citizen" who, like all, is "influenced...
Bollywood's favourite darling Ranveer Singh has taken a break from the shooting of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's magnum opus 'Padmavati' where he plays the role of Alauddin Khiliji alongside alleged lady love Deepika Padukone to go on a vacation, solo.
Recently, Ranveer suffered from a head injury on the sets of Padmavati and was rushed to the hospital due to heavy bleeding and left with a few stitches to the head. Recovering from his head injury, Ranveer took off for a solo vacation to London after making a quick stop to meet Deepika Padukone.
Before you jump to conclusions on why Ranveer went alone for a vacation, this is the reason: the entire vacation is sports themed! A self-confess sports aficionado, the vacation began for Ranveer by watching the Arsenal v/s Chelsea FA Cup final match in Wembley on Saturday after which he plans to catch the India vs Pakistan ICC Champions Trophy match on June 4 in Birmingham.
Since the vacation has been planned according to a previously scheduled break from shooting for Padmavati, Ranveer won't be missing out on any work and will resume shooting from June 8....
Legendary fashion designer Sabyasachi is famous for his gorgeous bridal wear designs that are regal and ethereal. He frequently has Bollywood stars walking the ramp for him and showcasing his looks in photoshoots.
The latest model for Sabyasachi is none other than upcoming starlet Sara Ali Khan, the daughter of Chote Nawab of Bollywood Saif Ali Khan.
View the pics below:
✨ how to sit like royalty ✨ #saraalikhan #absolutelyregal #princessvibes
A post shared by ۰ sara ali khan pataudi fc ۰ (@saraalikhanx) on May 9, 2017 at 12:36am PDT
#SaraAliKhan in a #Sabyasachi Couture #Lehenga #HandCraftedInIndia #TheWorldOfSabyasachi @saraalikhanx @saraalikhann @officialsaraalikhan
A post shared by Sabyasachi Mukherjee (@sabyasachiofficial) on May 7, 2017 at 2:37am PDT
#SaraAliKhan in a #Sabyasachi Brocade & Crystal Lehenga #VintageTulleDupatta Spring Couture 2017 #TheUdaipurCollection #HandCraftedInIndia #TheWorldOfSabyasachi @saraalikhanx @saraalikhann @officialsaraalikhan
A post shared by Sabyasachi Mukherjee (@sabyasachiofficial) on May 7, 2017 at 3:30am PDT
Check out Jhanvi Kapoor in Sabyasachi:
#JhanviKapoor @jhanvikapoor in a #Sabyasachi #HandPainted #HandPrinted #Lehenga #TheUdaipurCollection Spring Couture 2017 #HandCraftedInIndia #TheWorldOfSabyasachi
A post shared by Sabyasachi Mukherjee (@sabyasachiofficial) on May 6, 2017 at 9:56am PDT
According to researchers, those who sleep less than 6 hours may nearly double the risk of death in people with metabolic issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.
A study found that people with metabolic syndrome who slept for more than six hours were about 1.49 times more likely to die of stroke while, those who slept less than six hours were about 2.1 times more likely to die of heart disease or stroke.
The short sleepers with metabolic syndrome were also 1.99 times more likely to die from any cause compared to those without metabolic syndrome.
"If you have several heart disease risk factors, taking care of your sleep and consulting with a clinician if you have insufficient sleep is important if you want to lower your risk of death from heart disease or stroke," said lead author Julio Fernandez-Mendoza, Assistant Professor at the University of Pennsylvania.
For the study, published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, the team selected 1,344 adults (average age 49 years, 42 per cent male) who agreed to spend one night in a sleep laboratory.
The results showed that 39.2 per cent of the participants had at least three of the risk factors -- body mass index (BMI) higher than 30 and elevated total cholesterol, blood pressure, fasting blood sugar and triglyceride levels.
During an average follow-up of 16.6 years, 22 per cent of the participants died.
"Future clinical trials are needed to determine whether lengthening sleep, in combination with lowering blood pressure and glucose, improves the prognosis of people with the metabolic syndrome," Fernandez-Mendoza said.
Inputs from IANS...
Paris Saint-Germain earned a hard-fought 1-0 win over Angers on an own goal in the final of the centennial edition to lift the French Cup trophy for a record 11th time in Paris.Angers defender Issa Cissokho suffered an own goal in PSG's corner kick into the stoppage time, reportrs Xinhua news agency.PSG were level on 10 triumphs with Marseille before Saturday's final, where French President Emmanuel Macron featured and had a warm pre-game exchange with players.Both sides and crowds in Stade de France observed one-minute silence for the victims in Manchester bomb attack Monday night.Angers did pretty well in restraining the defending champions' attack, and their goalkeeper Alexandre Letellier finished several brilliant saves on PSG top scorer Edinson Cavani's attempts.Angers also got their own chance of breaking the deadlock, as Nicolas Pepe's shot hit the post in a free-kick on 27th minutes.The two teams were involved in a physical match-up, and PSG winger Angel Di Maria received a yellow card for altercation with his opponent.After a goalless draw into the break, PSG still found it hard to beat tough Angers. In the 56th minute, Blaise Matuidi's close-range shot was blocked by Letellier in a quick response, and Di Maria's free-kick just went a little wide off the post two minutes later.Cavani could not add another goal to his productive season (49 goals) as his shot went off the post against a defender in a counter-attack with six minutes remaining.However, Matuidi forced Cissokho to head into his own net, finishing a last-gasp winner for PSG's historical victory in the tournament.PSG won French League Cup and French Cup this season, while failing to achieve a domestic treble for the third straight year after losing the Ligue 1 title to Monaco.They were also dumped out in UEFA Champions League last 16 by Barcelona in a humiliating manner after building a four-goal advantage in the first leg while losing the return leg 6-1 at Camp Nou....
The death toll due to floods and landslides caused by heavy rainfall in Sri Lanka has risen to 146 and may increase further as 112 other people have been reported missing.
According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) in its latest situation report that 442,299 people have been affected by the rains in one way or another in 15 of the country's 25 districts, Efe news reported.On Sunday, the rainfall eased somewhat, although it is expected to intensify again from Monday.In addition, 101,638 more people had to be evacuated, the DMC added.Water levels in rivers in the districts of Hambantota and Ratnapura have begun to fall, but in other places such as the Nilvala river, levels are on the rise, DMC spokesperson Pradeep Kodippili, told Efe news."We were able to evacuate the people in the surrounding villages and towns on time last night," added Kodippili, referring to Nilvala river, which rescue workers were trying to contain with sand bags.The number of troops engaged in emergency work has increased to 1,700.The authorities were preparing to deploy military transport vehicles to assist in evacuation in the affected areas, army spokesman Brigadier Roshan Senevirathne said.The areas of Kalutara, Galle and Mataro -- traditional tourist destinations -- are among the worst affected.The Sri Lankan government has called on the international community to provide financial aid and logistical support.Heavy seasonal rains -- which this year came after one of Sri Lanka's worst droughts in 50 years -- often hit the island nation hard at this time of year, generating uncertainty in the agricultural sector, a major source of resources in the country. The first vessel with humanitarian aid from India reached Colombo on Saturday. A second vessel will arrive later on Sunday.
Inputs From IANS...
Manesar Land Deal: CBI Raids Residence Of Ex-Haryana CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda
NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
September 3 , 2016 , 09:40 IST
CBI on Saturday carried out searches at the residences of former Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and a sitting UPSC member along with 18 other locations in a case of alleged irregularities in acquisition of land in Gurgaon in which farmers were cheated to the tune of Rs 1,500 crore.
CBI sources said besides Hooda's residence, premises of the then Principal Secretary M L Tayal, UPSC member Chattar Singh, both former IAS officers, and a serving IAS SS Dhillon were also searched by the team.
"In an ongoing investigation, CBI carried out searches at 20 locations in Rohtak, Gurgaon, Panchkula and Delhi in connection with alleged irregularities in the purchase of land from farmers in Gurgaon," CBI Spokesperson R K Gaur said.
ALSO READ: ED Registers Case Against Former Haryana CM BS Hooda
The agency had registered the case last year in September on allegations that private builders in conspiracy with unknown public servants of Haryana Government had purchased around 400 acres of land from farmers and land owners of village Manesar, Naurangpur & Lakhnoula, District Gurgaon at throw away prices, showing the threat of acquisition by the government, during the period August 27, 2004 to August 24, 2007.
It is alleged that in this process, initially, the Haryana Government had issued a notification under the Land Acquisition Act for acquisition of land measuring about 912 acres for setting up an Industrial Model Township at Villages Manesar, Naurangpur and Lakhnoula in Gurgaon.
ALSO READ: Current Issues Episode 56: Hooda Demands CBI Inquiry Over Haryana Rajya Sabha Polls
After that, all the land had allegedly been grabbed fromthe land owners by private builders under the threat of acquisition at meager rates, CBI had said after registration of the case.
It is alleged that an order was also passed by the competent authority i.e. the Director of Industries on August 24, 2007 releasing this land from the acquisition process and the land was released in violation of the government policy, in favour of the builders, their companies and agents, instead of the original land owners.
The CBI has alleged in its FIR that in the said manner, land measuring about 400 acres whose market value at that time was above Rs 4 crore per acre approximately totaling about Rs 1,600 crore approximately was allegedly purchased by the private builders & others from the innocent land owners for only about Rs 100 crore.
It was alleged that a loss of Rs 1,500 crore was caused to the land owners of village Manesar, Naurangpur and Lakhnoula of Gurgaon.
For all the latest news and updates from India and across the globe, follow us on @NewsWorldIN on Twitter and News World India on Facebook