The BJP leadership is learnt to have almost zeroed in on Nitin Patel, the senior-most minister in the Anandiben Patel cabinet, to take over as Gujarat Chief Minister from her.
The official announcement of Mr. Patel’s appointment will be made after the BJP legislative party meeting at 4 p.m.
Before he takes over as the new Gujarat CM, let us have look at some of the little known facts relating to Nitin Patel.
- He was first elected to the Gujarat assembly in 1990 and has been MLA for the fourth time.
- The 60-year-old Nitin Patel has been Minister since 1995 except in 2002-2007 when he lost the Assembly polls after the Gujarat riots.
- Nitin Patel has been a part and member of the BJP for the last 30 years
- Patel began his political career from Kadi in Gandhinagar district
- Currently a Cabinet Minister for Health, Medical Education, Family Welfare, Road and Building, Capital Project in government of Gujarat
- Belongs to the Patidar community