In a jolt to BJP in Punjab, Navjot Singh Sidhu on Monday resigned from Rajya Sabha, only about three months after his nomination by the government, as speculation raged that he could join Aam Aadmi Party and be its face in the Assembly polls next year.
The resignation of 52-year-old Sidhu, who was nominated on April 22, has been accepted by Chairman Hamid Ansari with immediate effect, the House was informed on Monday.
There is talk of Sidhu joining the AAP ahead of the state elections and may be made the party’s face in the state. Here is how Navjot Singh Sidhu can benefit AAP in Punjab:
- Sidhu can become a brand for AAP in Punjab
- AAP can encash on Sidhu’s spotless career as he has never been in controversies
- Sidhu can directly attack on Akali Dal
- BJP won’t be able to attack Sidhu directly
- AAP will be able to relate to Punjab with the help of Sidhu