Former Punjab DGP KPS Gill passed away on Friday in a Delhi hospital. He was 82.
Gill served twice as DGP of Punjab. He is credited with having brought the Punjab insurgency under control.
KPS Gill retired from the IPS in 1995.
Gill was also president of the Institute for Conflict Management and president of the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF).
He received the Padma Shri in 1989 for his work in civil service.
Mothers always come to the rescue, any child can vouch for that. Be it a problem with homework, permission from dad or a fight with a friend.
Panda moms are no different, this recent video proves. A smaller Panda engages in a tussle with a slightly bigger bully who pushes the little one over. In comes the Panda mom to the rescue. In one swift move, she pushes over the bully.
View the Panda mom in action:
On the occasion of the NDA government completing 3 years at the centre, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the country's longest river bridge the Dhola-Sadiya Bridge over the Brahmaputra river in Assam. Dedicating it to the people of the nation, PM Modi named the bridge after famous Assam-born singer Bhupen Hazarika.
Here are 8 Facts about the bridge:
1. The new 3 lane, 9.15km bridge connects Dhola in Assam to Sadiya in Arunachal Pradesh and has been built over the River Lohit, a tributary of the Brahmaputra.
2. Before this bridge, the only means to cross the River Lohit of the Brahmaputra was by ferry during daytime in non-flood seasons. The Bhupen Hazarika bridge will ensure that now there will be 24X7 connectivity in all weathers between upper Assam and eastern part of Arunachal Pradesh.
3. The bridge shortens the distance from Assam's Rupai on NH-37 to Arunachal Pradesh's Meka/Roing on NH-52 by an impressive 165 km, reducing the travel time from 6 hours to 1 hour.
4. The considerable decrease in distance will also result in saving of petrol and diesel worth nearly Rs 10 lakh per day.
5. Since the North East area is prone to high seismic activity, the entire bridge has been equipped with seismic buffers in all of its 182 piers.
6. The bridge will give a major boost to overall economic development of areas north of the Brahmaputra in upper Assam and Arunachal Pradesh as it will provide efficient road connectivity to remote and backward areas which had poor road infrastructure.
7. The Indian Army will also benefit from the bridge, as convoys will require less time to travel from Assam to the posts along the Indo-China border in Arunachal Pradesh.
8. The bridge is a part of the Arunachal Package of Roads and Highways under the Ministry's Special Accelerated Road Development Programme for North East and has been constructed at a total cost of Rs 2,056 crore....
Jammu and Kashmir's first professional football academy was launched at Tourist Reception Centre (TRC) in Srinagar in a bid to boost sports in the state.Minister of Youth Welfare and Sports Molvi Imran Raza Ansari, who launched the academy on Thursday, said the academy will act as major sports training school and provide players a platform to prepare for national as well as international competitions.Ansari said that overall development of sports culture and initiatives for youth development is prime focus of present government."This professional atmosphere will groom young athletes to reach new heights for shining at regional, national and international levels," he said.Initially, the academy will train footballers in the age groups of 13, 15 and 18 and three professional coaches will be employed for the purpose. India footballer Mehrajuddin Wadoo would head of the academy."I am sure that under the ace footballer like Wadoo, the emerging talent will scale new heights. In fact, it is a moment of celebration for us to serve the game, which is much loved in Kashmir.""Such initiatives not only make sports a serious endeavour, but also motivate youths to pursue career in it", the Minister added....
Salman Khan To Salman Khan has always been active in shaping careers of several aspiring talents. There are speculations doing the rounds that Salman Khan has all plans to launch Chunky Panday’s daughter Ananya into Bollywood. It seems that the people’s favourite ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ will act as a launch pad for Ananya.
If reports are to be believed, Ananya is already preparing for her grand entry into Bollywood.
“Salman and Chunky are good friends, they know each other for a long time now. So now Salman has taken upon himself to launch his daughter Ananya. She is apparently now grooming herself. She is working out with a gym trainer and is following a diet planned by a nutritionist, both suggested by Salman,” newindianexpress.com quoted a source as saying.It is not the first time when Salman will be launching a star kid in the Indian film industry. Earlier, he had launched his friend Suniel Shetty’s daughter Athiya and Aditya Pancholi’s son Sooraj in his home production ‘Hero’ a few years back.
However, no official announcement regarding Ananya’s Bollywood debut has been made yet.
FIR Registered Against Bihar Class 12 Board Toppers, VR College Director
NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
June 7 , 2016 , 15:12 IST
Patna Police on Tuesday registered an FIR against Bihar's Class 12 toppers in science and arts and director of V.R. College in Vaishali district.
A report has been lodged by Rajeev Ranjan Prasad Singh, an official of the education department, Kotwali police station incharge Ramesh Prasad Singh said.
Those named in the case include science toppers Saurabh, Sreshtha and Rahul Kumar, arts topper Rubi Rai and director of V.R. College in Vaishali district. Saurabh, Rahul Kumar and Rbi were students of the V.R. College.
He said the case was registered under Sections 420, 465, 467, 468, 471 and 120 B of the Indian Penal Code.
Nitish Kumar, who held a high level meeting with top officials on Monday, expressed disappointment over the Class 12 merit muddle and directed the officials to probe the matter as a criminal case.
The state government, after the meeting, dissolved both the inquiry committees constituted by the education department and the Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) on Sunday.
The board on Saturday cancelled the result of first and third toppers in the science stream as both failed their re-test and decided to give another chance to the arts topper to appear for a re-test on June 11.
The board received a report on re-assessment of 13 of 14 toppers of the class 12 examination to find out if they really deserved their high grades or had cheated their way to the top.
Board Chairman Lalkeshwar Prasad said the government has cancelled the recognition of V.R. College.
The BSEB, which conducts Class 12 exams, is also in trouble as it had announced the results last month.
"The state government is likely to take action against the board chairman for his failure and damage to the reputation of the state's education system," officials said.
For all the latest news and updates from India and across the globe, follow us on @NewsWorldIN on Twitter and News World India on Facebook