AZMiThe Supreme Court on Tuesday asked the CBI to serve a notice to the Uttar Pradesh minister Azam Khan for his alleged statement and remark in connection with Bulandshahr rape case.

A Supreme Court bench comprising justices Dipak Misra and C Nagappan took note of the alleged controversial statement of the UP Urban Development Minister, who had said that the Bulandshahr incident was a “political conspiracy”. However, Khan maintained that he had not said anything against the victims and their family members.

The court framed several constitutional questions including whether a person, holding public office, can give a statement which may create “distrust” in the minds of the victims about a fair probe in the case and whether such a statement can be a part of freedom of speech and expression.

ALSO READ: Bulandshahr Gangrape Case: SC Modifies Order; CBI Probe Underway

The man, whose wife and daughter were gang-raped last month on a highway in Bulandshahr, had on August 13 moved the top court seeking transfer of the case to Delhi, besides lodging of an FIR against Khan as well as several policemen.

The brutal incident had happened on the night of July 29 when a group of highway robbers stopped the car of a Noida-based family and raped a woman and her daughter after dragging them out of the vehicle which had four other occupants.

ALSO READ: Bulandshahr Rape Case: SC Pulls Up Azam Khan Over Statement On Victim

The Supreme Court on September 8 asked the CBI to continue with its investigation into the gangrape of a minor girl and her mother on the national highway in Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr and complete it expeditiously.

For all the latest news and updates from India and across the globe, follow us on @NewsWorldIN on Twitter and News World India on Facebook