All You Need To Know About POSCO Act
- POSCO Act is a federal law enacted by the Parliament of India on 14th November 2012.
- Protection Of Children From Sexual Offences Act (POSCO), was enforced to protect the fundamental rights of children and to secure them from sexual exploitation.
- The POSCO Act of Parliament received the assent of President on 19th June 2012.
- The Act states ” An act to protect children from offences of sexual assault, sexual harassment and pornography and provide for establishment of special courts for trial of such offences and for matters connected there with or incidental thereto”.
- The Act absorbs four kinds of crime under it’s jurisdiction like Assault, Harassment, use of children for pornographic content and attempt to commit a sexual crime against a children.
- The POSCO Act incorporates provisions for medical examination of the child, will cause as little problems as possible. The medical examination will be carried out in the presence of the parent or a trustworthy person of his family, and in the case of a female child, by a female doctor.
- Another major point of this important act is Supreme Court finalising a minimum financial penalty by the criminal, that money will be used for the treatment and rehabilitation of the child.
- The Act provides full privacy to the children reporting against a person and hence children should not be afraid for their identity getting revealed.