‘Chahe Koi mujhe Junglee Kahe…Yahooo’ is one song that remains in our heart till today. When this generation would ask about Shammi Kapoor to their parents or grandparents they will certainly have many wonderful things to say about! Indeed Shammi Kapoor was such nice person. Shammi kapoor was born on 21 oct 1931, acting came naturally to him. His parents and brother Raj Kapoor were already very famous and had created a name for themselves as Shammi entered industry everybody was shocked, his talent was unmatched. Be it romance, dance or crime he mastered it all! On his birth anniversary we bring you 5 unknown facts about him which we are pretty sure that you would not want to miss.
1. Born as Shamsher Raj Kapoor, Shammi spent the first eight years of his life in Kolkata (where father Prithviraj Kapoor starred in films made by the famous New Theatres studio). After Shashi was born, the Kapoors returned to Mumbai.
2. Shammi had to leave Don Bosco school because the school’s principal and his star elder brother Raj Kapoor had a fight over the school’s refusal to grant him permission to miss classes and rehearse for his dad Prithviraj Kapoor’s play, Shakuntala.
3. Shammi Kapoor began his film career at the age of 22 with several releases in 1953. He worked with the leading ladies of the day like Madhubala, Meena Kumari and Nutan but big-time success and stardom proved elusive for the next four years.
4. In 1955, Shammi married actress Geeta Bali, and their love was immense. shammi was highly captivated by Geeta’s beauty and they soon got married. The couple was so much in love that Geeta Bali convinced director Kidar Sharma to cast her in a man’s role in his Shammi-starrer Rangeen Raatein so that she could accompany Shammi to the Ranikhet outdoor of the film.
5. At the premiere of Junglee, Rajendra Kumar told Shammi, “Okay film. I think it will run for six weeks.” Shammi met him again at the jubilee function and Kumar sheepishly admitted, “I was only joking.”