Urjit Patel has assumed charge as the Governor of the Reserve Bank of India on Monday.
Patel succeeds Raghuram Rajan, who after serving a three-year term, is going back to academia.
Here are the few facts you all need to know about new RBI Governor:
- On August 20, the appointment committee of cabinet approved the appointment of Dr. Patel for three years.
- Patel obtained his Bachelor’s in Economics from the London School of Economics, M. Phil. degree from Oxford University in 1986.
- He received his doctorate in Economics from Yale University in 1990.
- He was at IMF India desk during the 1991–94 transition period.
- On 11 January 2013, Urjit Patel was appointed as Deputy Governor of RBI for a period of three years.